Health Benefits and Other Info
· Pecan nuts are rich source of energy, provide 690 cal/100 g and contain many health benefiting
nutrients, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that are essential for wellbeing.
· Pecan nuts are rich source of many phyto-chemical substances that may contribute to their overall
antioxidant activity, including polyphenolic antioxidant ellagic acid, vitamin E, beta-carotenes, lutein and
zeaxanthin. Research studies have been suggestive of that these compounds help body remove toxic
radicals and thus, protect body from diseases, cancers as well as infections.
Helps Protect from Cancer
· Anti-proliferative properties of ellagic acid are due to its ability to directly inhibit the DNA binding of
certain carcinogens such as nitrosamines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, thus protecting body
Vitamins E and B-complex
· Pecans are an excellent source of vitamin-E, especially rich in gama tocopherol; provides about
25g per 100g. Vitamin E is a powerful lipid soluble antioxidant, required for maintaining the integrity of the
cell membrane of mucus membranes and skin by protecting it from harmful oxygen free radicals.
· The nuts are packed with many important B-complex group of vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin,
thiamin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, and folates. These vitamins functions as co-factors for enzymes
during cellular substrate metabolism.